Wednesday 19 January 2011

It's actually quite cold up there.

I slept in the "igloo", that's right the one without the roof. Very very cold and not very happy. That's probably the best way to describe monday night in the woods. Not that it actually was very very cold, it was only about - 8 degrees centigrade, and that is comparatively mild. Later in the week it's due to be - 20 or even -25.

The worst bit about the morning was getting out of the sleeping bag, it was even colder outside the bag than in, the next worse bit was putting on cold shoes and trying to get frozen toothpaste out of the tube. Putting the kettle on for a cup of tea was the highpoint, closely followed by realising I could thaw my Nutella sandwich out by putting it in the inside pocket of my coat. The chocolate was still frozen by the time I ran out of patience but I still felt quite resourceful. I managed to get another layer of blocks onto the igloo but it was so cold that the snow was still very glassy and so the blocks didn't stick together. I'm going to let them melt a little during the day and then freeze together when the temperature drops before adding the next layer.

No comments: